Trouble sleeping? Make sure your sleep hygiene is working for you!
1. Dim the lights in your house after dinner
- Dimming lights helps your body to make melatonin which is your sleep hormone
- Avoid "screens" such as television, computers, tablets, cell phones before bedtime
2. Develop sleep ritual that give your body cue's that its time to go to sleep.
- Take a bath, listen to relaxing music or read something soothing before bed
- Enjoy a cup of caffeine free herbal tea such as Chamomile
- Repetition of these habits helps your body to know its time to go to sleep
3. Remove electronic devices from your bedroom
- Electronic devices emit electromagnetic frequencies that interfere with sleep
- Avoid using your cell phone as your alarm clock
- Be cautious about leaving devices plugged in on your bed stand
- Best yet, leave all these things outside your bedroom
4. Get up at the same time every day
- Even on weekends! When your sleep has a regular rhythm you will sleep better.
- Try to avoid napping during the day as you work to reset your sleep pattern
5. Avoid alcohol and nicotine at least 4-6 hours before bed.
- Alcohol may seem to help fall asleep but it prevents you from getting restful sleep
- If you smoke then start planning on how to become a non-smoker!
(hint: Ask Dr. Magerus!)
If you still struggle with getting to sleep or staying asleep, call to schedule an appointment with Dr. Magerus. You might have an underlying medical issue that needs to be addressed first.
#insomnia #naturopath #sleep #naturalsleepaids #sleephygeine #cantsleep